Turmeric is a tropical shrub 0.60-1.0 m high. Large, oval leaves grow directly from the rhizome. The leaves are large, oval, from light to dark green in color. As a spice, lateral, long roots are used. They are dug up, boiled together with special dyes, then dried, peeled, after which they become orange. They have a slightly burning, slightly bitter taste resembling ginger, but their aroma is more delicate and pleasant. Turmeric is usually used in powder. The birthplace of this plant is East India and Vietnam. Even in antiquity, the Arabs brought this spice from India to Europe. Turmeric is currently cultivated in China, India, Java, Haiti, the Philippines, and Japan. Turmeric grows well and at high altitude – over two thousand meters.
Turmeric contains a very aromatic essential oil and the dye curcumin, which is insoluble in water, dissolves curcumin in fats and alcohol. Turmeric contains α-phellandrene, zingiber (25%), borneol, sabinene, β-curcumin. This is a medicinal plant, spice, and dye. Turmeric favorably affects the work of the stomach and gallbladder, enhances the secretion of bile and digestive juices.
In addition to turmeric, spicy turmeric is used as turmeric, aromatic turmeric and ground turmeric which is easily available at spices wholesale market.
But these plants have a weak aroma and less pleasant taste.
Methods of use
- In folk medicine, turmeric is used for diseases of the liver and gallbladder, kidneys, and also as a gastric agent.
- Turmeric is used in the food industry for coloring butter, margarine, cheese, various dishes, and liquors.
- The taste of turmeric is weak-spirited, pleasant, and in large quantities sharp, burning.
- Turmeric is a part of national spicy mixtures.
- It is used as a spice for hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, in the preparation of light sauces, salads, stews, enhances and improves the taste of the chicken broth and chicken dishes.
- This spice is added to rice, pasta, noodles, however, it should be remembered that you need to add it in small quantities (1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon for 4 servings).
- Add turmeric to mustard, cucumbers and various vegetables pickled with vinegar.
- Root contains yellow pigment curcumin, essential oil, alkaloid, lactone and alcohol, calcium, iron, phosphorus, iodine, vitamins C, Bl, B2, VZ.
Turmeric root also contains
• curcumin – a substance that inhibits the growth of cancer cells, especially for tumors on the skin, in the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine and mammary gland, which reduces the level of harmful cholesterol in the body and reduces the risk of developing atherosclerosis, which prevents the formation of stones in the liver, kidneys, and bladder;
• Curcumin, suppressing the growth of malignant tumors of the skin, uterus and mammary gland;
• cineole, beneficial to the work of the stomach, destroying parasites;
• Tameron, which has an antiparasitic effect and inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria;
• bioflavonoid vitamin P, which is involved in the restoration of blood vessels that improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, and helps to cure asthma, sclerosis, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
Turmeric has several tastes: spicy, bitter, astringent – it has a sharp vipak. It has a warming, light and dry effect on the body. It suits people of all types of constitution. It removes toxins from the body, helps with poisoning with chemicals and insecticides.
It suppresses putrefactive microflora in the intestines, cleanses the intestines from excess mucus, normalizes the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, and normalizes the pancreas. It improves metabolism, has a healing and antibacterial effect. Used in the treatment of digestive and circulatory systems. It is a natural antibiotic. Helps to improve digestion, helps maintain normal intestinal flora, reduces the amount of gas, has tonic properties. Of the diseases of the digestive system, it treats indigestion, gastric and duodenal ulcers.
Turmeric aromatic oil is included in various cosmetics, as well as perfume compositions to give them a specific spicy oriental aroma.
Very often, this oil is used to care for oily and mature skin. A solution of turmeric essential oil usually does not irritate the skin and does not have a phototoxic effect, that is, after applying external funds using this oil, you can safely go out in the sun.