Abundant preparation is needed even if you are moving to Canada from a nearby destination in the US. So, you must ensure to have all the basics right before making this big move. From obtaining the status as Permanent Resident to arranging warm clothing, the list is quite long.
The decision to move to Canada is a life-transforming one, to say the least. It has the potential to transform not just your lifestyle but even the generations ahead.
You must bear in mind very importantly that Nationwidevisas is here to help you to make smooth immigration to Canada. We have made an exhaustive study for compiling a checklist of all the essential arrangements to be made for this purpose. It covers everything advisable prior to your departure as well as a list of items to be packed for moving to Canada.
Checklist for Moving to Canada
A few of the items suggested in this section will take time for arranging. Thus, it is advisable to review it well in advance of your scheduled departure to Canada. You must start the preparation months ahead of your journey to Canada. Moreover, you can save money and time by arranging travel insurance.
· Canada Visa, Work Permit or similar documentation for immigration
· Letter for Bank balance
· If applicable, evidence of travel insurance (for instance, print out of your policy)
· The address of your accommodation in Canada (for instance, a Friend’s place, a hotel, or a hostel)
· Any ID card offered by the Government like the Driving License if you intend to visit venues serving alcohol. Avoid making use of your Passport and losing it potentially.
· Your CV/Resume. You can save a copy in email or carry a digital copy that can be printed when needed.
· Reference letter for accommodation
· Letter for Motor Insurance. If you have a letter for ‘no claims’ from past insurance providers it can decrease the costs of your insurance premiums.
· If required, a copy of educational transcripts
· If necessary, prescriptions
You must start to apply for these documents that you do not have as some have a time-consuming process. If you apply for them after arriving in Canada, it can prove to be costly and with the further delayed process. Your documents must be in French or English, the official languages of Canada.
Your documents must be translated if they are not in French or English. Ensure that you avail services of a renowned translation organization. You must obtain an affidavit to highlight the accuracy of the translation.
It is also highly advisable that you have certified true copies or scanned (soft) copies of all your major documents. These will be extremely helpful when you need additional copies for diverse applications. The same holds well if you misplace the original copies.
Items you would prefer to pack for Canada
· A few CAD – Canadian Dollars so that you may not have to worriedly look at the airport for an ATM
· An Extension cord/ Power bar to help you in running multiple devices at your home with only one adapter in Canada
· Phone charger, camera charger, etc.
· Home delicacies like non-perishable food items from your home nation like pickles or tea bags
· Large items but not too large such as a surfboard or a guitar that you are specifically fond of. It can be easier and cost-effective to include these as extra baggage on your flight than separately shipping these.
· A scarf, a warm hat, and a pair of gloves. These are highly essential things if you intend to arrive during the winter season in any destination any Canada except the Greater Vancouver Area.
You can buy a good winter coat after landing in Canada. This is because the coat you use in your native country will be inadequate for warmth in Canada. Just ensure to have the basic warm clothing before arrival like a scarf, hat, gloves, etc.
The CBSA – Canada Border Services Agency has outlined the guidelines for personal stuff that you can bring to Canada. It includes vital details like the goods that are eligible for duty and those that are tax-free.
Organize your finances
Assess the cash that you have to carry as funds for settlement. The least amount relies on your immigration route and the number of family members. Be familiar with your nation’s rules for the volume of funds you can carry overseas and other rules for currency.
You have to declare after arriving in Canada if you possess a surplus of CAD 10,000. Make use of the report form for monetary instruments or trans-border currency form for doing so. You are permitted to carry more than CAD 10,000 and you must just announce it.
CBSA has the power to seize undeclared cash of more than CAD 10,000. You may be fined or face another penalty for non-compliance. You can carry the settlement funds to Canada in several ways.
It is advisable that you convert your cash to CAD prior to arriving in Canada.
Carry other financial instruments
You can carry money orders, bank drafts, or traveler’s cheques. It also includes treasury bills, debentures, bonds, and stocks.
Deposit at a bank in Canada
Transferring funds will be easier if the bank in your native nation is a partner or affiliate of a bank of Canada.
Open an account in a bank of Canada
You can open an account in a bank of Canada even when you are yet to depart from your home nation. The International Account of Scotiabank or Newcomers Hello Account of ICICI Bank is some examples of this. Look out for their identification and eligibility requirements.
Participate in seminars for Pre-departure
Mostly, you would have already received an invitation for attending seminars for Pre-departure such as:
· COA – Canadian Orientation Abroad
· CIIP – Canadian Immigrant Integration Program
· AEIP – Active Engagement and Integration Project
Such seminars offer details on a range of topics like housing, employment, health, lifestyle, and settlement services in Canada. These will assist you in planning and preparation. Also, you will be connected to support for settlement that you can require after arriving in Canada. Some nations also make it compulsory for emigrants to participate in pre-departure seminars sponsored by the State for being permitted to emigrate.
SOPA – Settlement Online Pre-Arrival is a cost-free program that specifically prepares you for employment.
Begin with the right mindset
Finally, you must be both realistic and optimistic about moving to Canada. You must be positive and also possess a fine action plan being prepared for working hard. Immigration is not a smooth sail but there are resources and experts to help you succeed.
Wish you a happy and safe journey!
Top Immigration Consultants in Delhi
Nationwidevisas is the premier Visa Consultant in Delhi that has helped thousands of candidates to successfully immigrate to Canada. Our Immigration Experts are proficient and skilled for accurate assessment of your profile and suggesting appropriate Visa options. A wide range of immigration aspirants has realized their overseas dreams through our assistance and support.