Overweight and obesity are common in people, especially people with erratic lifestyles. One of the factors that lead to obesity is overeating. However, you don’t tend to overeat intentionally. A well-known triggering factor for overeating is stress.
Now we know that the last year was challenging on all fronts for all of us. Be it your work, finances, health, or personal concerns the stressing situation has undoubtedly affected us mentally and physically. This has given rise to many health concerns in people across the world, and the situation is no different in India.
One such health issue that most young women in India face is obesity. As compared to men, women are more likely to struggle in maintaining a healthy weight or lose weight. In such cases, doctors usually suggest women undergo bariatric surgery to sustain a healthy body weight in the long run.
There are several types of bariatric surgery, such as follows:
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Adjustable Gastric Band
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS)
The primary goal of the surgery is to allow obese and overweight people to lead a healthier life. However, patients have to meet certain criteria to undergo bariatric surgery. These criteria also come into picture when seeking health insurance claims. Also, make sure that you buy health insurance that covers bariatric surgery in its existing coverage. If not, ensure that you have the add-on cover taken before you undergo surgery.
Ideally, the Body Mass Index (BMI) of the person undergoing the surgery should be between 35 and 40 and can have existing conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure. For those with a BMI higher than 40 need not have any underlying health concerns to qualify for the surgery. You can use the BMI calculator for women and men available online to check your BMI. All you have to enter is your height and weight, and the tool will calculate the BMI value for you.
For women who are looking for a way to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight without undergoing bariatric surgery can follow a healthy diet. Here’s some advice that you can help –
- Do not starve yourself to lose weight. Instead, eat meals with high protein and low carbohydrate to fight hunger. Starving yourself will impact your health and lead to eating disorders in the long run.
- Make sure your diet includes nutrient-rich food items, fresh fruits, green vegetables, and whole grains.
- Look for healthier alternatives to your snacks if you want to follow a weight loss regime properly.
- Make sure that you are consuming your meals on time and keeping track of the portions eaten throughout the day.
- Maintain a diet plan and stick to it. Also, maintain records of your calorie intakes and make changes to your meals accordingly. You can get in touch with a nutritionist to help you with the diet planning process.
Whether you opt for bariatric surgery or look for healthy ways to lose weight, it is your strong will and discipline that might help you accomplish your health goals.